Se Habla Español
Toll Free:
Contact Attorney for Assessment

Denton County Paternity Attorney

Get Help Establishing the Paternity of Your Child

Paternity is identified as the legal state of being a father. Although a man may be recognized as the biological father of a child, paternity is a way of acknowledging that the man is also the legal father. This helps the father secure their legal rights over the child. It must also be established in order to determine such things as child support and visitation rights.

Are you a single mother in need of child support, or the biological father wanting custody or visitation rights over your child? Haugen Law Firm, P.C. can help. Our Denton County family law lawyer understands the importance of establishing paternity and is determined to provide clients with the representation needed to handle their important paternity needs.

How Do I Establish Paternity?

Establishing paternity is extremely important for both parents involved. Not only does it help the father receive proper visitation rights, but it can also help the mother claim child support from the legal father. Without paternity being established, visitation rights and child support cannot be determined. In order to establish paternity, an Acknowledgement of Paternity must be filled out by both parents of the child and then turned in to the Bureau of Vital Statistics.

Once it becomes official, the father's name will be placed on the child's birth certificate. The court is then able to enforce visitation rights and establish an appropriate sum of child support be provided to the main caretaker of the child. This process may run into important legal issues that need to be addressed as well as complex paternity proceedings that a person must go through. By having an experienced Denton County divorce lawyer on your side, you can better understand the legal processes and get started in a prompt and effective manner.

A Parent Doesn't Wish to Establish Paternity

When one parent does not wish to establish paternity, it does not mean that all hope is lost. If the father of your child does not want to be responsible for child support or if the mother of your child refuses to let you visit, it is important to speak with a Denton County family law lawyer as soon as possible. Our law firm understands the severity and significance behind this type of situation. We are committed to thoroughly reviewing the unique cases of our clients and making sure that they get the appropriate amount of child support or visitation rights that they are entitled to.

Our goal is to settle the paternity issues of our clients and bring them peace of mind. If the father of the child does not believe that the child is his, a free paternity testing can be done. In general, it is best to establish paternity at the hospital right after the child is born. This takes away from a lot of unnecessary confusion that can come up.

Speak With a Denton County Family Law Attorney!

If you are in need of establishing paternity or you want to understand more about the benefits involved, now is the time to discuss your important legal matters with a representative at our firm. At Haugen Law Firm, P.C., we have the resources and experience needed to properly guide clients through the process of establishing paternity and addressing complex issues that are brought up. If you are a single mother seeking to get the appropriate amount of child support from the biological father, paternity must be recognized. The same goes for the biological father wanting to exercise his legal rights and be able to visit his child. Without paternity being identified, the biological father has no rights.

Contact a Denton County family attorney today to discuss your paternity matters.

Proudly serving Lewisville, Carrollton, Flower Mound, and all of Denton County.

Contact Us Today

Email Us Your Information

Contact Haugen Law Firm, P.C. today to receive your initial consultation.


Meet John Haugen

Premier Lawyer

John Haugen brings a unique set of qualifications to the table as a graduate of West Point and a former U.S. Army Captain.

Attorney Profile

Why Choose Us?

    • Client-Centered & Responsive
    • Flexible Appointments
    • Highly Rated
    • Results-Oriented

What Are You Waiting For?

Don’t leave your future in jeopardy. Contact our firm today!

Case Evaluation
Not Enough Money Or Words To Show How I Feel I don't have enough money or words to show how I feel. I can't express enough how much I really appreciate everything.
Read more comments